Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day of School

We homeschool our children, but we are also a part of a homeschool community that meets once a week at a local church. This is our fourth school year with Classical Conversations. We have LOVED our community in Pace. So much so, that our CC community has become some of our closest friends here in P'cola. The group has grown so much that a second location was opened here in Pensacola this fall. We prayed, cried and discussed what to do b/c we didn't want to leave our Pace group, but it just made so much sense for our family to move to the Pensacola location. So, today we started our first day with a new group of people in a new location. We do know a handful of families that made the move too.
We got everything ready for school the night before so that we were not late. I was so proud of myself on the way to school for all we had accomplished by 8:30 AM. (Spoiler alert...look out ahead for the train wreck!)
The night before...we are ready!!

I woke up at 6:30 AM and started making eggs for breakfast. (both scrambled and hard boiled b/c I have one that doesn't eat scrambled and two that if they see hard boiled want that kind too, and one that only eats scrambled.) As I am getting breakfast underway, Brian comes out of his room upset that he had wet the bed. He had only had two DDAVP pills the night before and, apparently, he really needs three or he will wet the bed. Brian was totally upset about it. I put breakfast on pause and quick started a bath. Once B was in the bath I ran to his room and started stripping his bed to wash the linens. It smelled like a urinal. It was beyond gross. I am pretty sure he slept in pee for a few hours b/c it wasn't completely wet. (Remember he can't help it...he has Diabetes Insipidus.)

By that point I have laundry going, I have breakfast going, I am getting lunches finished up and I happily decide I will go ahead and scrub everyone in the bath myself. Three of the four had bathed themselves the night before, but I hadn't scrubbed them since Friday, and they still need mama to wash their hair every now and again. I figured for the first day of school we would be squeaky clean.

Everything is rockin' along and I feel like wonder woman. It didn't even fluster me when twenty minutes before we needed to leave, Brian came in without shorts, shoes and underwear, announcing he had an accident because he couldn't get his pants down in time. He, who was already bathed that morning, got cleaned up a second time and we put new unders, shorts and shoes on him. At this point Fred jumped in and made the boys PBJ's for their lunch boxes so I had time to squeeze in a shower. (b/c I spent a good five to seven minutes attempting to get a cute picture of the four.)
We were working together as a family and I was feeling awesome. Super mom, that's me!


Olivia wasn't up for pictures. She busted her chin open last night. She probably could have used a stitch or three, but we cleaned her up and steri stripped at home. We used one of our left over sterile packages from Brian's home health care weeks. It would have been WAY more traumatic to take her to the ER. All our kids know of hospitals is what they see with Brian. I am confident she will be fine or we would have taken her in, but needless to say it was a bad wound.

A couple more pictures at the church before we went inside.

Brian wanted to showcase his lunch box.

We arrive with three minutes to spare. I am pretty sure I called my sister, Jess, on the way to school to tell her how awesome I am.
We found some seats and my friend and neighbor, April Morgan (the director of our new CC community), came up to me and said, "I am going to go up in about a minute and welcome everybody. I will make a couple of announcements..."
As she is saying all this I look at her with a goofy "you got it, girl" smile, thinking she is just chatting with me. I am sure I gave her the thumbs up or something dorky to encourage her. She then says, "and then I will call you guys up to the stage."

Umm, excuse me...WHAT?!

April then looks at me and said, "Oh, did you forget? It's your day for family presentation."

OK, as a matter of fact, I totally don't remember that AT ALL!!!

So, right after April walks away I gave Ansley and William a panicked look and and said, "We have family presentation! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO SAY?!!!" William said he would tell everyone that Bigdaddy was coming home from Africa today. I said awesome!

We got up front and I introduced us and prayed. Then we had to lead the pledges to the Christian Flag, Bible and American Flag. I know all three by heart, but I was so flustered I stared down at the page and read them word for word. I am sure I looked real intelligent. :-) My kids just played with the flags.

Then William stated, "Bigdaddy gets home from Africa tonight." That's it. William was done. Nothing further. So, I jumped in and said why our Bigdaddy was in Africa and a little bit about the ministry there. I then ended our "family presentation" with a quick disclaimer. I think I said, "Hello lots of people we don't know...we just bombed family presentation. Hopefully this shows you that you don't have to do anything awesome. It can't get any worse then this." :-)

After morning assembly the kids broke up into their classes to head to their rooms. I didn't know any of my kids schedules and or where to find them for art or science. I had Brian in tow because he isn't going to be in CC this year. He missed several weeks last year and just doesn't want to participate. So, we are not going to have him in a class of his own, but today he didn't want to miss out on the fun of the first day. He has stated that he will stay home every Monday with Daddy who will just have to work from home. :-)
After a good 40 minutes of dragging Brian all around the campus, and yet another emergency trip to the bathroom AND downing an 8 ounce water bottle in two sips, it occurred to me that I forgot to give Brian his DDAVP this morning!! I felt horrible.The poor boy!!! Yes, that completely deflated my super mom ego.

So, our first day of school was memorable. We had a great time and all four kids have lots of stories to share. Hopefully we encouraged some of the families that perfect is no where to be found. :-)

2 comments:

6HartsforHim said...

Hi Carrie!I'm Tammy's cousin. I've been following what you have been going through with Brian,and my heart goes out to all of you. We have had many health trials with our 5 year old son,and you are always heavy on my heart and in my prayers. As a Mom to four, the same ages as yours...I can SO RELATE! I have to be honest. I got a good laugh mostly because this is SO us.Praying your school year goes well! We started today too. It's my first year homeschooling all four. Perfect is totally NO where to be found at our house either! Thankful we serve a Perfect God, who loves us despite our imperfections!

nancygrayce said...

Ummmmm......I think Supermom is putting is modestly! You rocked! I would have given up at pausing breakfast. I honestly don't know how you do what you do and am standing in awe!

Here's go a great year!!!!