Friday, May 11, 2012

Hair & Chemo Info

A couple of people have notice that my hair went from this:





To this:




...and asked what motivated me to chop off so much hair at one time. Well, when Brian was first diagnosed one of the questions I asked was, "Is he going to lose his hair?" It wasn't that I was so concerned about his appearance for a vain reason, but I wanted to be able to prepare William and Ansley, who, at that time, were 4 and 5 1/2.
   I don't remember if it was Dr. Chatch or Nurser Jennifer, but one of them responded to my question with a "He may, but he may not. We don't know. Everyone responds differently to the different levels and different drugs given. Be thankful he is your three year old boy and not your 13 year old daughter."

I cannot imagine telling my daughter she going to lose her hair. But this past August my good friend was diagnosed with cancer and I thought about losing my own hair as a 33 year old. I decided I wanted to chop mine off for Locks of Love in honor of my loved ones on chemotherapy battling a form of cancer. So, while my hair cut is not my favorite for me, I do have hair and the length will grow out (and probably pretty fast).




For the record, I did a post about Brian's hair during chemo round one when we were entering chemo round two. HERE's the link.

Chemo Round One- September 2009- April 2010
Chemo Round Two- October 2010-  ? was suppose to be over October 2011, BUT chemo round two...was, well, complicated. It's all on this blog. You can go back and read, but we realized chemo round two's new combo of drugs was not working. In March 2011 we switched it up and returned to the old combo of drugs that we knew would work. Doing this started chemo round two over with a new induction phase and set the clock for the "one year" back to month one. Instead of completing protocol in Oct. 2011 he finished March 8, 2012. So, I guess it could all be considered one round, or two, depending on how you look at it.
Chemo Round Three- April 2, 2012- anticipating completion in April 2013

1 comment:

Missy said...

I meant to tell you that I thought you looked GREAT! I had a feeling you did this selflessly too...which makes you even more beautiful!